I have been working in the health and wellness industry for years now. Almost six years. And I have been very good at giving advice to my clients on ways to beat stress, drink more water and most importantly take time off when they need it. But did I always follow my own advice? The short answer is NO!
Two years ago I started my own massage and wellness clinic, together with a former colleague and as most of you entrepreneurs know, the first few years in business, you hustle. You hustle until you can’t hustle anymore. And that’s exactly what happened to me. I couldn’t ignore my body’s signs anymore. Years, previously, working in a highly volatile and stressful work situation and then starting up my own business, compounded my stress, until I was working myself into the ground.
I went and saw naturopaths, GP’s and other fellow health professionals and nothing much changed, well, not until I had two light bulb moments! Number one, NOTHING WAS GOING TO CHANGE UNLESS I DID. Learning to say No was a HUGE thing for me, especially as a healer. Saying no to a client in pain…no way would I have done that, even when I was broken down and really needed the time to heal. Now I know you mum’s can also commiserate, as you are often dead last on your list of people to look after. NO MORE! We need to start being selfish! Scratch that! Not selfish! Dedicated to our own wellbeing so it creates a flow on effect. If we are broken, we can’t fix anyone else, especially not ourselves.
Number two wake up call, was seeing the brilliant Natalie Kringoudis speak about women’s health and go through the list of symptoms of oestrogen dominance! HELLO! My friend and I both looked at each other and said “s**t! That’s us!” Not only had oestrogen dominance crept in and made itself cosy in my body, but my behaviour was manifesting it. Overworking, not sleeping, stressing and using stimulants (even the healthy versions) were leading me to feel like a cast member of the Walking Dead!
So how have I started to heal myself and get back to my vibrant self? Simple. Listening to my body! Not pushing her beyond her capabilities, loving her for her energy and honouring when she needs sleep. Loving her even during this health crisis and knowing that both her and I are on an amazing journey. And here’s the steps I am taking to create equilibrium:
* Saying NO! This has been really difficult, but finally, I am learning that I am as important as everyone else, and if I can’t do something for someone, for whatever reason, I politely decline. Saying NO to someone else, is actually saying YES to me!
*Asking for HELP! Another biggie! If you can’t do it, ask for help. If you don’t have anyone to ask, see if you can outsource it. Only do what you can do, not what you think you SHOULD be doing!
*I take time to REST! A nana nap, a ten minute nap, getting to bed half an hour earlier than last night, these are all integral changes for a former night owl and workaholic, and they make a HUGE difference!
* I have started to tap into my CREATIVITY and getting back to ME! When the clutter of everyday life drowns out our inner voice and our mind/body connection, one of the best things to do, is stop and write. Morning Pages has been a great addition to my day and helps dust out the cobwebs of my mind. To find out more about Morning Pages and the author of the book ‘The Artist’s Way’ click here Julia Cameron.
* I MOVE my body! Movement is integral in our sedentary lifestyles. Even in my work, performing similar tasks everyday, uses the same muscle groups. The body likes BALANCE. So my way of balancing is to find even ten minutes a day to do my barre workouts. If you are interested in barre workouts, Suzanne Bowen Fitness is my absolute favourite method and help you find your balance and mind/body connection.
* I EAT as best as I can, as often as I can, and choose the best option for where I am. That means I eat gorgeously, nutritious foods when at home, but if I am out socialising, you know I’m going to enjoy that luscious piece of cake.
* I MEDITATE, even just for five minutes. Silence is the best way to tap into our bodies natural healing ability and really hear what she has to tell us. She loves to whisper, but if we don’t listen…she will shout. Put on your favourite essential oil blend, sit down and just breathe.
So this is my journey, how I’m changing my health one step at a time, and doing the best I can for my body and loving my ‘life vehicle’ back to vibrant health.
What are your health non-negoitables? What has prompted you on your health journey? I would love to hear from you below xxx